Hamstring Injuries in Happy Valley
Your hamstrings are comprised of 3 muscles that run along the back of your thigh: biceps femoris, semitendinosus, and semimembranosus. They’re primary function is to assist in hip extension and knee flexion. Most hamstring injuries involve running based activities including sport participation. Likelihood of re-injury is surprisingly high (2-6x more likely) in return to running without completion of a treatment program.
Most injury types involve a sudden explosive demand while your hamstring is in a relatively lengthened position. Common examples would be: abrupt stopping, sudden sprinting, quick change of direction, or over striding.
Risk factors associated with hamstring injuries include:
- A prior hamstring injury
- Weakness in the hamstrings
- Pronounced stiffness
- Inadequate warm up before activity
- Extreme fatigue and dehydration
Hamstring Injury Signs & Symptoms
Typical complaints with mild to moderate hamstring injuries include:
- Uncomfortable or painful pulling
- Unusual weakness
- Pain during walking/running
- Bruising in back of thigh
- Limited motion / pain during stretching
Severe hamstring injury complaints may include:
- Immediate sharp pain in the back of the mid-upper thigh
- A pop, ripping, or tearing sensation in the back of your thigh
- Bruising in the back of your thigh
- Muscle swelling or bulging
- Tenderness to the touch
- Difficulty or inability to straighten your knee
- Difficulty and pain with walking/running
Identification of the location and severity of a hamstring injury can usually be determined with a thorough examination by your doctor of physical therapy. Confirmation of the injury is only the first step. The cause or contributing factors to your injury will also be assessed for future injury risk reduction. Based on the exam findings, an individualized treatment plan will be created for safe restoration of strength and range of motion.
If a hamstring injury has been interfering with your life, call us today to get started on a plan of care that works for you. Ascent Physical Therapy is conveniently located off Sunnyside Road in Happy Valley. We also love treating our neighboring communities of Damascus, Gresham, Clackamas, and Sandy at our top rated physical therapy clinic!