Hip Flexor Strains in Happy Valley
Strains of hip flexor muscles are notorious among distance runners and endurance based sports. With a primary role of pulling your leg forward during running, any repetitious activity that exceeds your current fitness abilities is likely to result in a strain. The common symptoms of a hip flexor strain include:
- Pain walking, particularly when the affected leg is behind you and as you pull it forward.
- Pain walking up hills or stairs.
- Pain or pinching during squatting.
- Stiffness of affected hip.
Some quick tips that you can get started with immediately include:
- Temporarily reduce physical exertion in affected hip by limiting activities to reduce strain.
- Wrap a cold pack in a dry cloth towel and apply to the front of affected hip for 15-20 minutes.
- Gentle massage to tender hip musculature.
These injuries can snowball into nagging annoying situations if not managed properly with symptoms that spill over into your daily life activities. Your physical therapist will work with you in developing a plan of care tailored to your goals. An example plan of care outline would include the following:
- Identifying symptom relief strategies.
- Temporary compensation strategies to reduce inflammation.
- Temporary activity modifications to avoid ongoing strain to muscles & tendons.
- Prescriptive Resistance Training
- Increase strength of hip with an eccentric emphasis.
- Targeted Stretching Activities
- Increase mobility of affected structures to reduce strain.
- Pelvic Stability Training
- Reduce strain to hip by correcting muscle imbalances.
If a hip strain has been interfering with your life, call us today to get started on a plan of care that works for you. Ascent Physical Therapy is conveniently located off Sunnyside Road in Happy Valley. We also love treating our neighboring communities of Damascus, Gresham, Clackamas, and Sandy at our top rated physical therapy clinic!